Pages

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

ARTICLE: Pokemon Generation VI Hopes

In the last 30 hours since Pokemon X & Pokemon Y were announced, little tidbits of information about the game have been revealed. This has caused speculation about many aspects of the games, so I have decided to post my hopes for this Generation of Pokemon.

The Logos for the Gen VI games: Pokemon X & Pokemon Y
The first piece of information that was let loose was that the total Pokemon count will go from 649 to over 700 Pokemon. I am quite certain that because the game will be in full 3D and so much work is being put into it, that less of these adorable monsters will be created this Generation. That being said, my hopes are that there are at least 85 new Pokemon and hopefully no more than 125 (I don't want to have to remember too many outrageous names). However, I am almost certain that there will be exactly 100 new Pokemon, as they revealed "over 700" as opposed to "over 750," which would be a false statement if the count was only brought up to 749.

In these roughly 100 new Pokemon, I am hoping for some things. First of all, the number of legendaries in the last two generations has been too much and I am hoping they tone it down. My ideal amount of legendaries this generation would be 10: the two mascots with a third counterpart, a legendary trio, two event legendaries and two non-event legendaries. I am also hoping they finally unveil a Poison-type legendary, which would mean every type has at least one legendary, unless of course they add a new type this generation (which I actually hope they don't) and neglect to make a legendary counterpart.

Also in these roughly 100 new Pokemon, I am hoping they bring back the mechanic of prevolutions/evolutions for Pokemon in previous generations, which was neglected in Generation V. Within these prevolutions/evolutions, I am particularly hoping for a few things:

  • At least 2 new Eevee evolutions (ideally Dragon-type and Ghost-type)
  • A prevolution/evolution for Heracross or Pinsir
  • An evolution for Absol
  • A prevolution that could become Tauros, Bouffalent, or Miltank
A proposed design for a Dragon-type Eevee

I would now like to talk about types. There are three type combinations I am hoping for this generation: Dragon/Ghost, Ghost/Ice, and Fire/Ice. I am also hoping that they do not introduce a new type, especially the rumored "Digital" type that would basically be a rip-off of Digimon.

As for the types of the Pokemon already announced, I do have my hopes. First of all, I pray that Fennekin and it's evolutions are NOT Fire/Fighting or I will be extremely disappointed. However, there are rumors that Fennekin and it's evolutions will be Fire/Psychic which I would be extremely happy about. There are also rumors that Froakie's evolution line will be Water/Fighting (surprise, a blue frog Pokemon who is Water/Fighting *cough* Poliwrath *cough*) and that Chespin's evolution line will be Grass/Dark. If these rumors are true, that would mean that none of the starters would have an advantage on any other, for as Chespin is weak against Fennekin's fire, it would be strong against it's psychic, which can be related to all 3 of the starters. I am truly hoping that is true.

Chespin, rumored to be Grass/Dark
Fennekin, rumored to be Fire/Psychic
Froakie, rumored to be Water/Fighting


As for the two legendary Pokemons, whose names have been unveiled as Xerneas and Yveiltal, I also have some hopes. Many people are saying Flying/Dark for Yveiltal, but I am hoping for Flying/Ghost or Flying/Poison. As for Xerneas, the rumor is Psychic and I am hoping such is true, but hopefully with another sub-type such as Steel or Grass.

Yveiltal
Xerneas

I don't really have much else in hopes, so I am going to review the revealed names of the legendary mascots. Xerneas has a fantastic name. It rolls off the tongue and sounds like something a legendary would be named. Yveiltal (pronounced ee-VELL-tail) on the other hand sounds terrible. First of all, it sounds like "evil tail" which just seems silly. Second, in no way would anyone get that pronunciation from it's spelling (I thought it was ee-VEIL-tall). Third, it sounds extremely awkward on the tongue. I understand that the intent is to have the mascots have universal names and that in this case they wanted Pokemon X to start with X and Pokemon Y to start with Y, but Yveiltal is a very silly name. Also, the names don't seem to go with eachother, as Xerneas sounds like this majestic, powerful name and Yveiltal sounds like...well...an evil tail. I am very happy with Xerneas' name and am probably getting Pokemon X but still, Yveiltal had potential for a better name. Let's just hope they don't give Pokemon Z a stupid name like Zpeikyfaise (pronounced zpike-EE-face).

Thanks for reading and I will try to do my best on keeping up with major Pokemon related news up until this game's release. Until next time!

Giuliano V.


No comments:

Post a Comment